Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
In physical fitness, pain can be a signal that something's wrong with your body and may have nothing to do with your actions. For example, if you were to stop exercising immediately after feeling any pain (even mild discomfort), your body would try to heal itself by shutting down certain functions until it could repair itself safely and efficiently.
But if you ignore the signals and keep exercising, your body will eventually go into overdrive trying to heal itself or shut down completely, leading to injuries or serious health concerns. There are many common exercise pains, and it’s important to know how to work past them and when to call for help.
Anyone who does any weight training knows that having a tight chest can make it hard to lift weights or even breathe properly when doing exercises like crunches, push-ups, and bench presses. To avoid this problem, try doing side lying triceps extensions or cable pushdowns instead of regular push-ups so that your weight doesn't push too hard on your chest muscles, causing pain there too. If you experience unusual or unexplained tightness in your chest, seek medical care immediately.
Pain in Neck, Shoulders, or Upper Back
You might have pain in these areas because you're working out too much. Ensure you are not overusing your neck, shoulders, or upper back muscles. Also, consider setting aside time for rest between sets. If you feel your body is not responding well to your workout routine, it's time to take a break from working out and see if you can return later. If pain is persistent or gets worse, contact your healthcare professional.
Pain in Lower Back
Exercising with poor form can cause pain in the lower back area. If you feel discomfort when doing exercises such as squats, lunges, and deadlifts, try using a foam roller for self-massage or ask an expert who knows how to help you instead of doing it yourself. You can also try using an exercise ball instead of weights for better comfort when performing specific exercises.
Staying active as we age is excellent for our physical and mental health. However, knowing when to slow down, stop, or even seek help is critical to ensuring you don't cause any irreversible harm. We only have one body to care for. So, when in doubt, always seek the advice of a licensed physician.
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn't Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- How to Get Health Insurance if You’re a Freelancer
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Ways to Locate a Lost Life Insurance Policy
- Critical Times in Life that You Need Life Insurance
- Giving and Forgiving
- Why Buy Life Insurance on Children
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- What to Avoid When Switching to Medicare from the Public Health Exchange
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Is One of These Factors Keeping You from Seeking Life Insurance?
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- Common Senior Micronutrient Deficiencies
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- How Valuable Is Cash Value Life Insurance?
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Why You Should Never Lie to the Underwriter
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Will My Life Insurance Policy Cover Me If Something Happens While Traveling?
- I’ve Been Denied a Life Insurance Policy. Now What?
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Getting Fit Before the Medical Exam
- The Basics of Insurance APIs
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- How to Stay Hydrated During the Summer Season
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- What You Don’t Know About Senior Fitness
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Sleep Care is the New Self-Care
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- 7 Ways to Improve the Quality of Life of Seniors You Care About
- Ways to Get the Best Health Care
- Adapt Your Home for Safe Mobility
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Best Nutrition Apps
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- 2020 Commencement Speech Quotes for All of Us
- Should You Get a Puppy?
- Meditation: Seizing the Moment
- Ways to Enjoy the Outdoors at Home
- New Energy After 60? 4 Ways to Biohack Your Health
- Starting a Business After 60? Use These 4 Tips for a Head Start
- Which Ages Are Important for Retirement Planning
- Conversation Etiquette: How to Express Your Opinion on Social Media
- Healthy Recipes for Fall Produce
- Factors that Affect Health and Life Insurance Coverage
- Thanksgiving: 4 Contactless Ways to Give Back
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- Whole or Term Life Insurance